Birding the ACE Basin
The ACE Basin offers some of the best bird watching in South Carolina.
More than 50,000 acres of public lands provide numerous birding opportunities. A variety of habitats – planted pine, pine-hardwoods, bottomland hardwoods, managed wetlands, maritime forest, estuarine marshes and beaches – provide food and cover for more than 265 species of resident and migrant birds. USGS Bird Checklist for the ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge
The following public areas are open for bird watching and general nature study on the schedules indicated.
- ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge
- Bear Island Wildlife Management Area
- Botany Bay Plantation Heritage Preserve and Wildlife Management Area
- Caw Caw Interpretive Center
- Donnelley Wildlife Management Area
- Dungannon Heritage Preserve
- Edisto Beach State Park
- Edisto Nature Trail
- Hunting Island State Park